Speaker, author, songwriter and worship leader, Matt McChlery was born in Zimbabwe. From an early age, it was apparent that he had natural musical ability. Shortly after his 13th birthday, at a ‘Penguins In Africa’ Christian rock concert, he committed his life to Jesus.
Following this, Matt started getting involved in his school youth group. With a little guidance, Matt taught himself how to play guitar and started facilitating worship at the age of 15. It was at Rhodes University, South Africa, where Matt’s songwriting really started to show signs of maturity and were increasingly used to bless his local church.
Songwriting runs in the family as Matt’s great, great, great grandfather, Rev. Sabine Baring-Gould wrote the classic hymn ‘Onward Christian Soldiers’. Matt believes that some of the anointing he carries is part of a generational blessing as well as an individual mantle and calling upon his own life.
After recording his first single in 2002 , Matt has won various awards for his music and blog and racking up airplay on hundreds of radio stations around the world as well as appearing on the telly a few times.
In early 2016 Matt was diagnosed with cancer (non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma) so took some time out of performing and recording. However he continued to write his blog and chronicled his journey whilst battling the disease which has since become a source of insight and inspiration for thousands of people around the world. Later that year, shortly after finding out that he is now in full remission, his blog achieved ‘Finalist’ position in the Premier Digital Awards in the ‘Most Inspiring Leadership Blog’ category.
Matt has written two books ‘Songcraft’ and ‘All Things New: Stories of Transformed Lives’ which have led to Matt adding speaking and preaching to his repertoire which have developed and come out of developments already happening within his ministry in his local church.
Matt lives with his wife Verity and their two children in the UK, teaching at a primary school. At the same time he is a Deacon at his local church, The King’s Church, Wisbech, where he preaches, leads worship and is working on the strategic development of the church. He is also Chairperson of Wisbech Churches Together and is represented by ‘Ministry of Music’, a management and bookings agency. Despite being very busy, Matt still continues to write books and worship songs that he hopes will continue to point people to Jesus.
● 2008 Songcraft: Exploring the Art of Song Writing
● 2014 After Hours Live: Little Book of Poetry
● 2017 All Things New: Stories of Lives Transformed
DISCOGRAPHY – SOLO ALBUMS
● 2002 ‘Jewel of Africa’ (single)
● 2006 ‘Fly’ (worship album)
● 2011 ‘A Deeper Longing’ (worship EP)
● 2014 ‘All Things New’ (worship EP)
● 2007 All Around on ‘Released 5’
● 2009 Ten Thousand, Thousand on ‘Released 7’
CO-WRITTEN SONGS ON OTHER ALBUMS
● 2008 Here I Stand on ‘Mercy Tracks Me Down’ – Andy Rogers
● 2012 Cry Holy & Alive on ‘The Deepest Part’ – Ryan Baker-Barnes
● 2013 Cry Holy on ‘God Over All’ – Revival Fires
● 2002 ‘Jewel of Africa’ top 10 position on Zimbabwean Radio Charts
● 2006 ‘Fly’ Number 13 on the NCM Euro (New Christian Music) Chart
● 2009 ‘Ten Thousand, Thousand’ number 1 on the NCM UK Chart
● 2014 number 11 on UK Reverbnation.com UK Christian Rock Chart
MUSIC FESTIVALS & CONFERENCES
● 2001 Youth Encounter (Zimbabwe)
● 2002 Youth Encounter (Zimbabwe)
● 2013 KingsStock Music Festival (UK)
● 2014 KingsStock Music Festival (UK)
● 2015 The Pursuit (UK)
● 2015 KingsStock Music Festival (UK)
● 2016 The Pursuit (UK)
● 2017 KingsStock Music Festival (UK)
MEDIA – MAGAZINES / NEWSPAPERS
● 2006 Soteria Magazine
● 2007 Christian Living TODAY – South Africa (April)
● 2007 The Baptist Times (August)
● (Various) The Wisbech Standard
● (Various) The Fenland Citizen
● 2014 Cross Rhythms in-depth interview on website
MEDIA – TV
● 2001 TBN South Africa
● 2011 (UKCMC) UCB TV UK & Europe
● 2011 (UKCMC) Dove TV USA
● 2006 NCM (New Christian Music) Radio Mike Award – Rock Male Artist UK & Eire
● 2008 NCM Radio Mike Award – Worship Leader UK
● 2010 NCM Radio Mike Award – Praise & Worship Artist England
● 2010 Semi-Finalist for song ‘All Around’ in Rock/Indie category of The UK Songwriting Contest
● 2010 Commended Entry for the song ‘Ten Thousand, Thousand’ in the Faith/Christian category of The UK Songwriting Contest
● 2013 Finalist in the ‘Best Leadership Blog’ category in the New Christian Media Awards
● 2014 Finalist with the song ‘Fingerprints’ in the Faith/Christian category of the UK Songwriting Contest
● 2016 Finalist in the ‘Most Inspiring Leadership Blog’ category in the Premier Digital Awards